Rust Never Sleeps

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Rust Never Sleeps
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 08:56:02 -0700
I read in Vizard's book last night that rust on the cylinder walls will
cause overheating due to impaired heat transfer from the metal to the
antifreeze.  Last week when I had the water pump out to install the high
capacity Unipart pump, I noticed a red surface rust on my cylinder
walls.  I also have noticed that after an extended period of running
that there is a brown sludge on the rubber sealing ring of the radiator
cap, but the coolant is clean when I drain it.  The rust in the motor is
not scaly, just a red surface rust.  If this is the cause of my
overheating (even with the S.U.s) is there something that can be used to
remove some of this rust short of taking out the engine, disassemble it
and get the block hot tanked?
Mike MacLean Supercharged and Thermally Challenged 60 Sprite