BBQ gas tank testimonial/question on storage

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: BBQ gas tank testimonial/question on storage
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:50:01 -0600
Well mark me down as a believer of BBQ gas tanks, they taste reaallyy goood!
Actually my tank has been sitting for 20+ years with old gas in it.  I
drained it last night, opened it up (yummy gotta love the smell of old gas)
It had 1/2 inch of sludge and crud in the bottom.  I filled it all the way
up with water and put it on the gas grill for 2 hours, I was able to get it
to boil.  Drained it, and wasn't too impressed with the results.  So today I
filled it about 1/2 of water and put some rocks in for flavor as well as
some liquid dish soap.and sloshed it around a bit. Boiled for another 2
hours.   Drained again, and wow shinny metal on the sides and bottom.  I
took it to the local car wash sprayed some degreaser in and power blasted
about 3 dollars worth of soap and water through it.  It looks almost new
now.  I'm fairly certain this has removed 95% of the loose stuff if not all
of it.  I have it on the grill now drying out.  It will be awhile before I
put it on the car, is there something I can put in it to keep it from
rusting again?  Of course I know gas will work, but it will be sitting in my
shop for prob. another 3 mo before gas goes in it.

Thanks,
Charlie