Re: SU carbs on 1500

To: DLancer7676@cs.com, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU carbs on 1500
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 00:23:50 -0400
Hello DLancer7676,

Saturday, October 27, 2001, 10:20:18 PM, you wrote:

Dcc> Well I just received my 1 1/2" intake manifold for my 1500.  And today I
Dcc> bought a pair of pretty good rebuildable HS6 SU carbs to bolt onto it.
They
Dcc> probably have very few miles on them, relatively speaking.  But they are
Dcc> pretty gunked up.  The carbs came off a '67 MGBGT and have blocks probably
1
Dcc> 1/2" - 2" thick.  Will the blocks be needed when I mount the carbs to the
Dcc> manifold in this usage?

I assume that the blocks are to insulate the carbs from the heat of
the intake manifold.  I found that on a 1500 Midget that there is not much
room for the blocks.  As it is now the rear float bowl fouls with the
triangular reenforcement.  That is fixed with the proper application of a
ball peen hammer.  You just beat a dent until that sucker fits.  If you
move the carb back further you might have trouble with clearance.  One
other thing is if the carbs are back further you might have to get
creative with the air filters as K&Ns will foul on the fender.

They can/might fit but it will require a bit more work.  Have fun.

--
Best regards,
 Bill                            mailto:w.gilroy@verizon.net