Altitude Driving - Was Pressed Steel Rockers

To: "'Mike Maclean'" <macleans@earthlink.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Altitude Driving - Was Pressed Steel Rockers
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 09:14:58 -0600
Some years ago I drove my Midget from California to Washington DC, via Idaho
(visit wife's relatives).  The car ran great until we got to about 8,000ft,
then it started dying on the side of the road.  First time was in the
desert, in July, middle of nowhere, wife 6 months pregnant (insisted on
coming) was not impressed.  After much looking, I figured it was
vapor-locking in the carbs, so out came the grill, and then the air
cleaners, then the hood got propped up with a rock, and we limped over the
mountains at 13,000, at night, in the rain.  When it ran, it ran great, it
just would die from time to time.  Once we got below 10,000 feet, put it all
back together and it ran like a champ all the way to DC.  The pleasures of
those frequent military transfers.

Bob
'74 MG Midget
'90 944S2