Re: Auto Question-no LBC

To: James Kleemeyer <jkk@adams.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Auto Question-no LBC
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 23:20:08 -0800
Hi James,

I suspect that the Studie has a semi floating rear axle assembly, the Spridgets
have a 3/4 floating assembly.  The semi type is almost always on a keyed tapered
axle with the center and drum all one piece.  Look to see if you see the axle
nut.  If it's visible, then take out the cotter key, back off the nut a couple
of
turns, put a special hub puller on it with the fingers bolted onto the lug bolts
or studs and turn the screw in against the axle end.  Now tighten it really good
and hit the end of the threaded rod with a BFH and it'll pop loose.  That's
where
the loosened nut comes in handy.  Without it there, the drum and puller flies
across the garage and nails you to the wall with you screaming in pain!!

These pullers can be rented at nearly any tool rental shop.

Good luck.

Paul A