Re: Rims...

To: converse@centurytel.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rims...
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 06:27:49 EST
In a message dated 1/20/02 1:30:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
converse@centurytel.net writes:

> I still have the original tire tool for my MG...what little good
> it does. Finally, I wised up and got socket wrench out...NOW...what IDIOT
> designed that tire tool.

One thing to watch on changing the tires on these cars with a tool other than
the original tire tool:  The length, which is short, is designed so you can't
put so much torque on the little stud that it breaks (unless you are really
trying to break it of course).  Ask me how I know after once wrenching two
off one wheel with one of those big cross handle tire tools.  And it took,
seemingly, very little pressure to have those little things wrenched off.
Very little, given the leverage of the longer tire tool.  If you are using a
socket wrench, it might be good to convert to a torque wrench.  Not sure of
the torque sitting here at the puter.

--David C.