Rear main seals!

To: "Gerard" <info@gerardsgarage.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear main seals!
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 23:26:51 -0600
When I had my shop in Austin, TX,  a customer brought in a 1275 Midget that
he had just rebuilt himself.
He had taken the motor and a date on a maiden voyage on the summer night
before, which was spoiled by the fact that oil was blowing out the shifter
area and soaking him and his date with oil!!!!
I looked at all the 90wt oil in the nice interior, opened the hood and and
checked for blow-by from the rings while it was running- and the pressure
almost blew the oil fill cap away!
Then I understood why oil came out the shifter.
 The crankcase of the motor was so overpressurized by the unseated moly
rings, that it was blowing out the rear main (where there is no seal-just a
thrower) pressurizing the bell housing with it's one tiny drain hole, then
the pressure was going into the front of the tranny (which has no seal- only
a worm drive to push the oil back), and pressurizing the trans- which has a
rear seal and the only place for the crankcase pressure to get out was the
shifter!!!!!!
I doubt if the owner of that car is on this list!- I hope!
Rich W

Gerald,
The rear main bearing cap for the crankshaft is hollow with a drain hole in
the bottom. This drain is for the oil that is slung by the rear oil thrower
on the crankshaft, that throws the oil away from the back of the engine,
keeping the oil from flowing out of the back of the block  where there is no
seal-and down the backside of the pan!
By porting (opening up and polishing) the area of the rear main cap where
the oil drains, you have less of an opportunity for the oil to build up in
the rear main cap and then coming out of the back of the block!
Rich W
Dallas