Re: Garage planning

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Garage planning
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:00:48 -0500
Didn't you answer your own question?

----- Original Message -----
From <Tommy_Samuels at markivauto.com>
> If a fire starts in the garage, drywall can make the difference between
someting
> that can be contained and the whole structure going up in smoke

> If the place burns down, I can't imagine some
> drywall making much of a difference.

I'm not armed with insurance data, but especially in a garage I would
imagine that a fire most often would start within the "living" space as
opposed to within the wall.

If it burns down it doesn't matter if it was made with concrete and
steel....

Also, since fire needs oxygen to burn, the better sealed a wall cavity is
the longer it will take for the wall to burn through, either from the inside
or the outside.

My personal suggestion as a "wish list" is 3/8" or 1/2" rock over 1/2"
aspenite/OSB/plywood. The rock provides fire protection while the solid wood
allows you to hang almost anything anywhere (I guess I would have to exclude
putting up a coupla big pair of "L" brackets to keep your spare Spridgets
out of the way). However, that is quite a bit more work, and the rock will
not hold up too well if subjected to catapulted cats and/or other objects.

<dnw>
1972 Midget
1998 Safari
1999 9-3