Rebuild or scrap?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebuild or scrap?
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 22:45:34 -0000
Driving down the motorway in the Padded Cell (2.0litre Citroen ZX
Volcane) a loud bang, followed immediately be an equally loud clatter
from the engine. Clutch down (very quickly !!) and coast to a halt.
Suspected broken con-rod.
Later confirmed  -- after tow home - that is another story in itself
;-)  by removing spark plugs and probing into cylinders with a
Spridget pushrod (obligatry LBC content !). #1 piston remains at top
of cylinder throughout 360 degree rotation of crank !!

So, I have some decisions to make.  Car is in good condition, 120,000
miles but I now either scrap it, rebuild the present engine, or find a
second-hand breakers yard engine.  I know I am capable of managing any
of these options - its just that parts are rather more expensive than
a Spridget!!

OK, so one question for your advice:
If only one con-rod/ piston is damaged, and IF it hasn't damaged the
bore, is it practical just to replace that one, or should I be looking
to buy / replace all 4 ?

Ho-Hum,
Guy