Re: Restretching leather seats... (LBC application, maybe)

To: mgraziano@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Restretching leather seats... (LBC application, maybe)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:42:03 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 02/12/2002 7:21:31 AM Mountain Standard Time,
mgraziano@mindspring.com writes:

> Does anyone know how to restretch leather so that I can get it to fit the
> mold again?  Like I said,  there are no rips or holes in the leather yet,
> so I think it's still repairable.

       Mike,

In the very olden days I used to read a great deal about restoring old cars.
This was when I still had my Model A, and cars of that age were still sitting
in garages and behind barns.

The standard way to "save" weathered leather seats was to treat them with
Neatsfoot (SP?) oil.  It worked really well to break in your fielders glove
for little league too.

I would expect it would darken the color however, at least temporarily, and
when first applied, might stain your chinos.  I'm sure others will come up
with a more modern fix.

Robert Houston

"There is nothing quite so thrilling as being shot at and missed"  " Yes
madam, I am drunk, but you are ugly.  Tomrrow I shall be sober, but you will
still be ugly"
attributed to Winston Churchill