Re: Bonnet Removal

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bonnet Removal
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 18:07:38 EST
In a message dated 2/20/02 3:22:56 AM, lbc@littlebitcountry.com writes:

<< What is an easy, safe,scratch free method of removing the bonnet from a
bugeye? I do have an engine hoist sitting here but I want to know what is the
easiest method of attaching to the bonnet so as not to bend, fold or mutilate
it since it is already painted. >>

Hi Dave:

Boy, you don't want to ask for too much, do you?  Best recollection goes
something like this.

1. Make a sling that goes across the wheel arches (padded) and around bonnet
lengthwise.
2.  Raise the Bonnet and use the hoist to get the sling to take the weight of
the bonnet.
3.  Put blankets or similar material along the scuttle.  Remove the hinges
from the bonnet, but not the supports, making sure that the sling is taking
the weight of the bonnet.
4.  Back the car up about 2-3 inches with the bonnet still attached by the
supports.  You will have to lower the bonnet slightly as the supports will be
pulling it down as the car goes backwards.  Good idea to have an extra pair
of hands or two to catch the bonnet if it starts to shift too quickly.
5.  Then remove the supports.
6.  Hoist the bonnet up and out of the way, or place it on a padded skid nose
up and get it out of the way.

The thing you have to watch is that when the hinges are removed the bonnet
may pitch either forward or backwards.

If you have two extra sets of hands they can just hold the bonnet while you
undo the bolts.  Everyone does need to be coordinated :-)

Good luck

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes)