Re: model paints and foils

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: model paints and foils
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 14:53:48 -0800
Along those same lines.  I have had a plastic piece rechromed before.  Just
like anything else, the devil is in the details...  ANY sanding scratches,
pits, surface irregularities will show 10x as pronounced with new shiny
chrome on top of them (don't ask me how I know).  Also, the life of the
rechromed piece is no longer than the piece lasted originally.  The part I
had done was a dash board piece on a car stored inside and driven less than
3000 miles per year.  The chroming began to tarnish and show yellowing and
surface cracks after 7 years.  MG finally got it right with the 1979 Midget,
all of the switches were black plastic, no chrome!
David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon
70 Torino