Re: Brakes - Safety - Listing - Long

To: pilotrob@webtv.net, dougi@shaw.ca
Subject: Re: Brakes - Safety - Listing - Long
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 03:55:00 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Re: No Brake Pedal Return - Brake Overhaul From: <A
HREF="mailto:dougi@shaw.ca";>dougi@shaw.ca</A>

Bob~

Thanks for watching my six!

Doug~

In the Air Force, Safety is the First concern on any task we undertake.
Whether it be putting a jet engine back together or putting ordinance on
target.

If it's not done correctly and safely - people die (the good guys).

Since I'm by no means a "mechanic," I turn to those who may have more
experience than I.  If it's something "out of my league," then it goes to a
professional, period.  In my mind, everything on that MG is there for safety
- from the brakes to the lights to the proper handling to a sound body, etc.
I will not put my life or someone else's at risk because I wanted to take a
short cut or save a few dollars / pounds.

I did enjoy emailing the list and asking for advice from more experienced
enthusiasts.  I think it's the most relaxing thing there is to do - working
on my MG and, just as fun, speaking to other enthusiasts - learning more
about this wonderful hobby.

It appears the P.O. had replaced everything else in the brake system except
for the callipers, rotors and hoses.  I am as perplexed as you as to why he
did not do the entire job, but pleased that I know I will do it right.
Correctly and safely.

Thank you for your response, Doug.  I can only assume you did not see my
previous listings about my brakes (note "update" in subject line of my
previous listing).

You see, I just can't help thinking that if I took the MG to my mechanic
straight away to look at the brakes and figure out the problem, I would have
missed that "MG" time spent in the garage; grease under my fingernails, brake
fluid on my coveralls and ZZ Top thumping from my car speakers.

If my first post to the list was "I'm doing a brake overhaul, to hell with
trying to learn the workings of the system and finding the problem," I would
have missed the anticipation of receiving responses back from the lists on my
queries and would have missed making new friends from around the world.  (You
should see the grease marks on my keyboard!  She's gonna kill me!)

For this will not be my last MG.  I plan on doing this the rest of my life,
and, very soon, my son will be by my side helping me "turn the wrenches."
So, I look for all the advise I can get.

If this listing is strictly for the more experienced enthusiast, please, by
all means, let me know and I shall cease seeking sound advice from it and go
elsewhere.

Doug, I shall thoughtfully reconsider my future postings to the lists.  As
in; "geez, I'm going to start receiving responses back that make me feel like
an idiot."

Or did I just wake up on the wrong side of bed and need a cup of coffee?

Pete Austin
1974 MG Midget - England
1977 MG B Roadster - Florida

Subj:   Re: No Brake Pedal Return - update