Re: [midgetsprite] Magnetic sump plugs EDT

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Magnetic sump plugs EDT
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 07:26:20 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
LOL, Dave!

Chip Detectors by Ronco!! Of course....
"A great Christmas Holiday gift"!!

Don't know if those magnetic
belts for filters work or not but, I see no
reason why they would not "hold" metal
particles to the inside of an oil filter cannister. Easy enough to check
out so
why don't I do it. Sounds like a good idea.

Let's see if Triple J or Autozone has 'em...
I'll give them a try and let all know what
the inside of the filter case looks like when we take it apart next oil
change.

We've been using magnetic plugs in turbine engines for years (chip
detectors).
They are there primarily to warn of trouble
as the size or number of the metal particles must be sufficient to cause
an
electrical connection between 2 or 3
"poles" to energize the appropriate warning lite in the cockpit.
Otherwise
they remove the tiny metal particles from
engine/gearbox oil between changes.

You would be surprised at the amount of
metal a  a new engine "makes" in it's first
couple of hundred miles. Seating of the rings normally occurs within the
first one
hundred miles (a la Frank Clarici's post)
but this is only one part of "The Story", .....the reduction in the
amount of metal the engine makes between "staged" changes as it
"breaks-in" tells another part of the story as to when break-in is
pretty much complete.

While I've used magnetic plugs for many
many moons (since I became aware of them as being available for these
engines)
I have always changed oil/filters every
500 miles for the first 3,000 on a "new"
engine just by being "educated" by others
in aircraft engines, most especially those
expensive turbine engines.

Cheap insurance! BTW, these "plugs" (Moss or Winners Circle)
are also supposed to fit the stock gearbox.

Cap'n. Bob
    '60 :{)