Re: Balancing

To: Chas Douglass <cdouglas@oz.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Balancing
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 18:54:56 -0700 (PDT)
--- Chas Douglass <cdouglas@oz.net> wrote:
> Can anyone comment on the worthiness of doing this?

I've never not done it.  A crankshaft/flywheel/crank
pulley (or harmonic balancer) are not turbo machinery,
but I do turbomachinery as part of my job, and have
done a lot of testing regarding the effects of
rotating masses, including having benefitted from the
work of Paul Allaire, one of the world's experts on
magnetic bearing systems.  Balancing of rotating
elements adds tremendous  margin to any radial bearing
system (a little bit on thrust as well), with
resultant increase in bearing life.  I know from using
high quality bearings like Barden bearings that all
bets are off for life predictions (B10 life) if you
have an unbalanced shaft.

Again, a crank rotating on a journal bearing in a car
is not the same as something rotating on
ball/air/magnetic bearings at 70,000 RPM, but
balancing can't hurt.

=====
Ron Soave