Re: vintage race tires

To: vainent@nfdc.net
Subject: Re: vintage race tires
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 22:15:15 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
I can only tell you what I'm running and what some others around are
running.  Some of this depends upon your local vintage club's rules.
Always, always check the rules before buying anything!  You don't want
any expensive mistakes.

CVAR (my local club) allows maximum wheel widths of stock +1.5".  I think
VSCDA only allows stock + .5", for example.  I'm running a set of
Revolution wheels that are 5.5" wide with Yokohama A032 175/60R13 tires.
I'm on my second set, the first ones lasted about 3/4 of a season.  They
grip really well in the dry but are pretty marginal in the rain.  They
are almost a slick tire with a few rain grooves.  Almost no one I know
uses separate dry and rain tires, so an all-around tire is important.

Some other spridget drivers I know are running a Kumho tire (V700?).  It
is a little less expensive, grips as well in the dry as the Yokohama
(judging from watching others), and seems to do better in the wet.  It
also can be rotated from side to side where the Yokohamas are
unidirectional.  By the way, the Kumho tire may have a rotation arrow on
it, but Kumho, via the Tire Rack webite, says that they can be swapped
from side to side.  Swapping the tires around more will help extend their
usefulness.  I don't know how the Kumhos wear, since I haven't tried
them.  I'm thinking of going with a set when my current tires wear out.

The tire that everyone raves about is hard to find.  The Yokohama A008.
I understand Yokohama quit making it in spridget size.  I've known some
people that have found used ones with lots of life left for good money.

I like the Revolution wheels a lot.  They are extremely light and very
true.  A couple of them required no weights to balance and the others
maybe a half to an ounce of weight.  Normally they are rather expensive,
although I got a good deal on a set.   They are made in the UK.  A lot of
the spridget drivers also use the KN Minilite replicas (Minators)
available from Moss, Viccy Brit, and others.  They are rather heavy, but
strong.  You can, of course, go with true Minilites or Panasports for a
lot more money.

David Littlefield
1962 MGA MkII
1974 MG Midget vintage racecar