Replacing Steering Rack / Shocks

To: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Replacing Steering Rack / Shocks
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:09:08 -0700 (PDT)
If all goes according to plan, Bugsy my '68 Sprite
will have a newer steering rack, tie rod ends, and
bushings along with a new set of Peter C.'s shocks by
the end of the weekend. Any special procedures or tips
needed on getting the Pinch Bolt loose and separating
the splined shaft on the rack from the steering
column. Gerard let me know I should plan on
dropping/unbolting the steering column and using a
piece of inner tube on at least one of the steering
rack clamps to make sure rack cannot rotate. I know
Loctite is needed to make sure the Pinch Bolt stays
tight and plans are to have plenty of Liquid Wrench
and a torch handy. Any other tips anyone can think of?
Thanks in advance and hopefully I can report by Monday
that the shaking and rattling in Bugsy's front end has
gone completely away, I can now feel the road, and
Bugsy no longer feels like he's floating at speeds
over 60 mph.

=====
Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH
HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com