Re: Tire information

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tire information
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:37:07 -0400
Allen,

I hate to disagree with you, but I believe that tires are actually an
integral part of any vehicles suspension system (ever try driving on the
rims? ;-), and in fact the job of the dampers/shock absorbers is actually to
stiffen, rather than soften the ride. The mfrs recommended tire pressure is
based on the suggested tire size and weight of the car to maintain the
proper profile for maximum tire life.

OTOH, I will agree that adding 2-3 PSI over the mfrs suggested will not only
improve handling, but will increase fuel mileage to the point that it will
likely more than pay for the tires wearing out sooner due to
"overinflation". This in fact was suggested with some Pirellis I bought a
number of years ago. Whether they still eschew this idea I don't know.

<dnw>

'72 Midget
'98 Safari
'02 9-5 Wagon