RE: Racing fuel and 948 race engine

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Subject: RE: Racing fuel and 948 race engine
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 08:22:17 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Cap'n. Bob,

The best friend of my Bugeye last owner helped build the 948cc (overbored to
982) race engine- he told me he could not remember exactly what the
compression ratio was, but that it was definitely over 12:1, possibly as
much as 13:1, and that they always ran Turbo Blue 115 in that car. Motor
octane for turbo Blue 115 is 104.5, (R+M+2) Octane 109.7, and Research
Octane 115 (hence the name of the fuel). I got a couple of runs with the
turbo Blue 115, but I have been using VP C12 since- Octane 108, (R+M+2)
Octane 109, research octane 110 - as I have a VP fuels distributor a mile
from my house. I have not raced or bought racing fuel for just over a year
now, but last time I bought VP 12, I was charged over $5 a gallon. By the
way, the car seemed to run slightly better with Turbo blue than with the VP
C12, especially at high revs.

That race engine is supposed to be safe up to 8,500 revs, but I am a chicken
and never revved it past 8,000 - I set the red line on the tach at 7,500.
Does not seem you gain much by going over that figure anyways. Most power
seems to be in the 6,000 to 7,500 range. There is absolutely nothing below
4,000.

Total advance on the engine is set at 30 degrees, and I found a note from
the PO stating it would be OK at 32- but I did not change it.

If you wonder why I have been talking to the best friend of my Bugeye last
owner, and not to the owner in person- I bought the car from his widow. She
does not know how much he spent on that car (well over $7,000 on engine
parts from MiniMania alone), and the PO best friend made me promised never
to tell her!

Jacques le Clainche
1959 AH "Bugeye" Sprite, VARA F Production vintage race car