Re: Anyone ever hear of PPG Brickyard Red?

To: "Tim L. Creger" <timlc@agr.state.ne.us>, "Spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Anyone ever hear of PPG Brickyard Red?
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:54:40 -0500
alrighty here comes some
PAINTING   101
a color that is going to be sprayed can come out darker or lighter than the
chip in a book or on a test shot.  this depends upon color of base caot it
is being sprayed upon.  fer instance:  a bright red sprayed over white or
light gray primer will be lighter.  same red over red oxide or dark gray
(wich some refer to as black primer) will be much darker looking.  now the
ultimate deal is tinted primer for your base coat!  because it gives you a
closer to the color chip finish color andif it gets chipped it does not end
up being a big black or white spot in a field of red(or pick yer favorite
color).
now as you add consecutive coats the color wil get darker and darker .  at a
point it will not get any darker than the chip.   but atthat point you have
piled up so darn much paint that it will be impossible to repair if it ever
gets damaged because there is just too much build up from al lthe layers of
paint(plus you loose details in the car's design with thick paint jobs).
final finishes are to be measured in mil.'s not fractional inches.  so base
coat top coat jobs are ideally not to be a foot deep then wet sand and buff
to desired end result.   and with that being said, the more top coats you
add (be they tinted or pearlescent etc.) change the color of the base coat.
you might choose a beautifull blue, and choose to tint the clear coat and
upon unmasking it and thoroughly inspecting it find it is nowhere near what
you saw in the chip  book.    this happens over and over.   also be aware
that most colors do not come already mixed!  each purchase is hand blended
by a human being!  so 1 miscalculation in the formulation of the color has a
huge effect on what will squirt out of a gun!  also!  most colors donot look
exactly right wet!  ya gotta wait for it to dry to see the real finished
color!  another variable is temperature, humidity, and gun pressure.   gun
pressure is very critical in spraying any metallic colors.   low pressure
and the paint is not atomised enough and you can get the dreaded "tiger
stripes" of light and dark in the finish.   you need a higher pressure for
metallics as they need to be more thoroughly atomised into a mist of color
so the metallic chips lay out throughout the entire "fan" of color from the
gun.
and beware of taking a color and choosing to make it metallic!  adding any
grade from fine to coarse metallic tint will significantly darken a solid
color as silver metallic tint has a huge amount of black in it!
btw!  throw away the paint cards!  use some scrap sheet metal for your test
colors.  it gives a better end product picture!

chuck
been there ....ruined that....