Rear axle bearing problem

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear axle bearing problem
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:34:24 -0500
OK, I have read about others having rear axles that just don't fit all
the way in.
the 69 I am working on had diff oil dripping out of the axle/brake drum
so I dug into it. With new "O" ring and gasket, the axle would not fully
seat so I cut a bit off of it with a cut off wheel. Still the same.
Proud by an 1/8 inch. And I cut 1/4 off. I changed the hub, no
difference but I did use the original bearing. I replaced the bearing
and it was fine. It seems the bearing was a couple mms too thick. It
looked the same by eye, it was made in England. The replacement I had
was a used German bearing. It worked.

So did this car have a wrong replacement axle bearing? The bearing on
the other side is the same.
Go figure!
--
Frank Clarici