Re: Garage Heating

To: HealeyRic2@aol.com
Subject: Re: Garage Heating
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:19:38 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Trouble with garages is, the bigger the garage the more crap you
accumulate. Mine's 24x30 and I have about 10 x 16 area to work in.

Rick, I used a 100,000 BTU kerosene torpedo heater and have had it up to
75 degrees on a 10 degree day. I have 9' ceiling with a plywood second
floor. If you could lay some sheets of rigid blue foam board on your
rafters or trusses it would sure help keep the heat down low. If you
have a clear span without rafters or trusses, a ceiling fan would help
circulate the heat back down to the floor. Another help would be to
partition off the work area with some roll plastic vapor barrier
material and only heat that area. I didn't like the kero heat because of
the smell, after 12 years I finally got a propane furnace up in the loft
and have it blowing down to the first floor. The propane is more
expensive per BTU but I think it'd be worth it, even for the propane
torpedos. I only heat when I know I have to work, and if the outside
temps are above 10 degrees, to conserve fuel.

Dave & Bobbie