RE: Axle shafts.^

To: <DLancer7676@cs.com>
Subject: RE: Axle shafts.^
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:44:29 -0500
Cc: "Spridget List" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
        I'm coming into the middle of this thread, so if I'm repeating
ground that has been already covered please accept my apologies.

        As to reusing axles, ABSOLUTELY ALWAYS put them back to the side
that they came from. If you do not, you cause a stress reversal at the
end of the engaged splines at the differential. The axle will have
already been twisted a small amount from prior usage at that point and
reversing that will cause the axle to twist back and shear the molecular
bond as it starts to go the other way. At the point of twist there is
now a very weak section of the bar.

        In our race cars, we use stock axles. They work well as long as
we use double bearing hubs and do not reverse direction. If, by mistake,
we do reverse direction the axle will break within the race weekend.

        By the way, if anybody has some axles, that have  been marked
for direction and have #806 on the outside bell, we would like to buy a
pair to use as spares.

Regards,

Tom Speed
www.MGRacer.com
Charlotte, NC
'76 Midget (Son's Restored Toy)
'66 Midget (SpeedRacer)
'84 Chevy S-10 (Tows SpeedRacer)
'98 Eclipse Spyder (Wife's Toy)
'98 Chrysler Lowered Floor Conversion Van (Tows Me)