Re: Axle shafts. Now ring gear flops!

To: Pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Axle shafts. Now ring gear flops!
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:00:16 EST
Cc: SDOliner@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 11/21/02 12:05:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net writes:
> This is not a particularly good practice.
>
> Ring gears have a depressions machined on one side of the inner surface.
> This
> matches with a raised ridge on the flywheel so it form a lock.  This is
> partly
> responsible for the ring gear being locked into position on the flywheel.
> The
> other is of course a good shrink fit.
>
> When you turn the ring gear over and install it backwards, this groove lock
> no
> longer matches.  Might also be destroyed in this pound it back on with a
> BFH
> after insufficient heating.  Now there is the possibility of the ring gear
> shifting on the flywheel when the lucas inertia drive starter gear slams
> into
> it.  It will shift enough sometimes so it might rub on the oil pump cover.
> Makes
> a lot of noise so is a pretty good warning device!
>
> Of course then you can remove the starter and pound the ring gear back into
> it's
> non locking position where it will stay for another short stay, then
> starter
> reinstall, ad infinitum!!
>
> Now, of course, you have a flywheel with a damaged lip, so it won't likely
> work
> well with a new ring gear installed properly!!

Gosh, is the sky falling?   I have had it turned for about 4 years or so and
it works perfectly.  This was suggested by the machine shop that I use and
they are the ones who did the turning.  It is a racing engine shop.
Apparently the ridge and the depression engage either way. And it is a
1500--perhaps it is different from the 1275?   But it works very well--as
good as the other way around.

--David C.