Solenoid Troubles (69 Midget)

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Solenoid Troubles (69 Midget)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 20:56:35 -0500
List

I am having a heck of a time trying to get this 69 Midget to crank over
with the key.
It runs, and the starter works but...
Old solenoid seemed dead. New (out of a green box Lucas India) was also
dead but I was able to jump across it to start the engine.
And YES I do have power at the end of the white/red wire that triggers
the solenoid.
OK, 2 down, I grab a known good solenoid, hook it up, bolt it in so it's
grounded, and it does not work. Push the built in button, it works but
not with the key.
OK, last NOS solenoid (orange box Lucas, England)
Same damn thing!!
So is it possible to have 2 dead new solenoids?
Can a working solenoid die in a plastic tote over time?
Can the new one installed in 1985 (car off road in 86) be dead?
Remember, I do have power at the solenoid end when I turn the key to
crank. And the test light goes off when I release the key.
Yes the battery is good, yes both brown wires are on the solenoid.
Yes it's grounded, so is the engine.
What am I overlooking beside having 4 dead solennoids?
And yes, I even made my sacrefice to the Prince of Darkness.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ