Re: bellows replacement

To: "Bill Bryant" <bryant@sonic.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: bellows replacement
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 16:21:54 -0500
yup! a pain in the tushie!
first of fyou need to clean and scribe (with something wich will make a
permanent mark, no crayons or marker here!) a line along the tie rod onto
the tie rod end.  this is importaint to disassembly and proper reassembly to
regain alignment(toe) .  next loosen the tie rod end jamb nuts taking care
to not turn the tie rod in the process(keep sight of that darn line you
scribed!)
now unscrew the tie rod out of the tie rod end counting evry revolution as
you unscrew it and as it comes apart any partial turn at that point.  WRITE
THIS NUMBER DOWN!  yer gonna forget it and be shafted upon reassembly!
at this point you can slide off the old boot after removing the clamps.
try saving the old clamps as they work far better than the new fangled
things!    the clamps screws are usually bent but greasey enough to come
apart with some care!
check the tie rod for any play.  this joint is not designed to have any free
movement in it's captive socket.  (other than swiveling about, no in and out
motion )
replace the boot secure the inner clamp.  put the outer clamp on but do not
try to do anything with it untill you have screwed the tie rod back into the
tie rod end !  remember the number you wrote down?  now's show time!  it's
going to put your toe right back to where it was if you have not replaced
any components in the steering.  if you did!  that numberwill get you close
enough toi drive the car to an alignment shop for a proper adjustment!
after tightening the jamb nut locking the tie rod to the tie rod end then
slide the outer boot clamp into place and secure it.
repete other side!  not fun but something you can do yourself!

chuck.
whew!  i think i need a beer(i can not do that anymore...) or a smoke!
 hmm, dont do that either!)  possibly a nap then....LOL!