RE: Carb Question

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Carb Question
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 08:14:48 -0800
Spridgeteers,

Hmmmm.... I read that Webers should be better than SU's both at low and high
RPM, but there might not be much difference till you use the Webbers on a
highly tuned engine at high RPM. On a street engine, SU's could be better
mid-range. As for Dellortos, I read they are no better than the Webers, and
parts for them are difficult to get. That's why I never considered
Dellortos. Where did you hear that Dellortos are better all over? Just
curious...

In vintage racing, I have never seen Dellortos on a Spridget- but my
experience is very limited, and the absence of Dellortos could be simply a
question of availability, and have nothing to do with performance. In
vintage racing Sprites, Webers definitely seem to have the advantage over
the SU's-obviously we are talking high output/high RPM engines here.

Of course, we may be comparing apples to oranges here, as no mention has
been made of the different carb models, sizes, and settings (needle sizes,
jets, etc) offered, and whether you are using one or two carbs. There are so
many different factors in choosing the "best carb" - size and state of tune
of the engine, intended purpose, etc... I would be interested to hear from
anyone who has their own test data from using different carbs on the same
engine, especially on the street.

Jac

Bill wrote:

      " i don't know sizes, but this is what i hear........

       SU's are better than webber's for low end grunt, Webbers are
       better than SU's for high rpm, and delordo's are better than
       either across the WHOLE range. i also understand that they take
       the same manifold as the webbers. ....

       that's just what i hear, ..... no experiences."

---