Re: Re-chroming part

To: Bill Gilroy <w.gilroy@verizon.net>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re-chroming part
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 23:06:03 -0500
Bill Gilroy wrote:
> Has anyone on the East Coast used a re-chromer and the job has
> pleased you?  Would you use them again?  I am looking for
> recommendations for a place to have a bumper re-chromed.  If they are
> in NJ that would be even better.  Thanks.

Bill

I used Keystone Plating out of Newark. Nice guy, decent prices, but...
I had the A40 bumpers rechromed. Within a year everything he did stated
getting tiny rust dots on it. they polish out very easily but ever time
it rains, they come back. My buddy had his Triumph bumpers done there
too. Same thing.
It's been 5 or 6 years, they do polish up real nice but I don't know why
they got the rust dots all over them. and evenly spaced too. Lots of
them. Looks like chicken pox.
The center piece of the A40 bumper was NOS, it still looks great but the
2 side corner pieces, front bumper and all the over riders were done by
Keystone. They all have the pox.
But it's something I can live with. He did a great job of straightening
tyhe front bumper and over riders, same on the one rear corner piece,
rechromed 2 corners, front bumper, 4 over riders, Sprite shift can, and
some other small bits all for around $400.

This just in...... My son has a friend who just opened a shop. He sends
the stuff out and it comes back beautiful! Only problem is he has to
send it to the place for a quote. So far all the Whomp Whomp kids love
his work and the prices are said to be good. Example, 5 litre mustang
exhaust straighten and chromed. $150. The guy with the shop told me he
could have my cockpit surround (which is aluminum) chromed for about
$100. (guestimate)

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ