RE: 7/16" wheel studs

To: "'Jay Shaffer'" <shaf@zenten.com>
Subject: RE: 7/16" wheel studs
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 14:12:33 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Jay,
        The best 7/16" studs I've found come from either ARP part
#100-7701 (GM: late drum brakes, 7/16 in. x 20 thread, 3 1/4 in. long,
.486 in. knurl diameter, cadmium plated, wheel studs) or Moroso Part
#46150  (Wheel Studs-7/16"-20 x 2-7/8" Press-in, .480" dia. knurl and
quick start dog end.  Standard hole size: .472" to .479"0 . They come
packaged 5 at a time. They are not as expensive as others, Moroso's are
$2.00 per stud and ARP run $1.60 per stud.

        I use a 15/32" drill to size the hole in the hub. I then draw
the stud into position by turning a 1" - 1/2" drive socket upside down
and putting it on the stud. I then place a 1/2" washer and then thread
on an upside down 7/16" lug nut. If you use a 3/4" deep 1/2" drive
socket and a long ratchet/breaker bar, you can easily draw the studs
into the hub. You don't have to worry about getting them all the way in,
When you torque your wheels the first time, they will seat all the way
in.

Regards,

Tom Speed
SCCA #35793 (1972)