Re: Non-LBC Help Needed 2003 07:04:23 -0800

To: davriker@pacbell.net (davriker)
Subject: Re: Non-LBC Help Needed 2003 07:04:23 -0800
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:15:14 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Not so fast, David...Consider!

With all due respect I find it the "other way". Fr'instance, the
Spridget is unibody so it tends to operate pretty "quietly" in THIS
respect. I already know the noises
of the engine/driveline, etc.

Thus, I am familiar with the noise "signature" of the machine. I don't
accept
anything "outside the envelope" and especially won't accept a mechanical
noise that "shouldn't be there" as this is
quite often, a "tip-off" to trouble downline.

Same way with airplanes. In the modern
quiet turbine application a lot is picked up
"through" muscles (seat of the pants as in
"vibration") along with the 'ole ear, headphones notwithstanding. The
whole
aircraft has a certain "whine", and anything other than that should be
cause
for concern until it's been checked out
and verified that concern is not required.

Fr'instance, we just lost a space shuttle
due to an apparent lack of conern among
the upper echelon, at a time when there
was great concern among engineering
subordiates. They can back-pedal all they
want on this. The fact is "management" made a "safety decision" based
on, of all
things, a LACK of information.

And then they passed up opportunities to
verify their decision, with "real" information based on "real"
observation
whether by temporary repositoning of the
Hubbell scope or whatever.

If you read into this a bit, Jay is NOT only
concerned with the annoying sound. Jay is
concerned that something is not right. He
is even more concerned that honest,
experienced maintenance types can't find
it.....and that "braking" unlike "going" is
more often than not, NOT an option.

So the concern is a valid one, until such
time as the "cause" is found. At THAT
point, he can make an "informed" decision
as to "seriousness" of same.

Right now he is in the dark searching for
light, 'cause when you gotta stop, you
gotta stop and good directional control
is part of this. He doesn't want any
surpirses in this respect, either! :):)