Re: Major carbon buildup on one valve (a little long) 14 Mar 2003 09:21:

To: Phil.Profili@cptii.com (Phil Profili)
Subject: Re: Major carbon buildup on one valve (a little long) 14 Mar 2003 09:21:51 -0500
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 02:17:24 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net (Spridget List)
Phil....rats!!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune
but it is apparent that cyl. 2 was
hardly firing to begin with (for how long?)
so there must have been quite a bit of
buildup in there to begin with. I think you
pretty much have it right as to what happened.

In a cylinder using oil there is a general
leaning out of the mixture to begin with
as oil in the combustion process dilutes
octanes (pre-ignition?). Suddenly we (#1) introduce a hotter "new" spark
plug into
this evironment. It will fire (#2) 100% now!
Now we "push' the engine (#3). Combine
1+2+3 "heatwise".

"BANG!" (Detonation) And where is the
weakest point in these instances of
this phenomena occuring in cyls. 2 or 3?

And could a ring or rings have broken
with that "BANG" in addition to "blowing" the "weak" point in the
head/block interface? Yep. No change
after cooldown.........lots of "rattling"
continues. Rebuild time, really.

What I am trying to say is it was pretty
bad in there with respect to cyl. #2
to begin with. You just precipitated the
failure by using a "new" plug and a
"hotter" one at that. It was an accident
looking for a place to happen in a short
period of time in any event.

Now there are some who would say,
"Ah, the hell with it. Drop the pan and
install new rings on piston #2 after
confirming it's "ok" and it ain't too "oval" in there, "hone" the
cyl./remove "ridge"
after checking the block area
between 2 & 3 to be sure it hasn't
"sunk" and if not, clean everything up
and install a new gasket and take a
chance it'll be good for a while longer!"

And it might work...for an unknown period
of time...maybe a long time. Maybe not.

And there are some who would say, "Ah,
time for a overhaul just as we are getting
into Spring. What a PITA! Ah, well...gotta
do what we gotta do" and....overhaul the
motor, "properly".

And you want ME to make this decision?
Oh....I think not, parrot breath!! :):):)

Hey...sincerely...bad luck, really and I
am sorry for this. You could get a spare
engine though while overhauling the
one you have to continue driving it in
the meantime........ it's a lousy spot
be be in....overtaken by bad timing no
doubt...hell, is it ever "good timing" when
these things happen suddenly and
unexpectedly? :(

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)