RE: Bugeye Group..... Re: Drum to Disc Conversion

To: "Alex Volk" <talla@TELUSPLANET.NET>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bugeye Group..... Re: Drum to Disc Conversion
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:43:59 -0600
Well I've never seen it done that way. Disk master with drums on the car.
Going the other way around with disks on the car and a drum master, the
brake pedal feels like an on/off switch. Hard to modulate.

Disk brakes require less fluid to be moved in order for the friction
material to contact the rotor. So the disk brake master has a narrower bore;
thus an inch of pedal travel moves less fluid through the lines. In order to
move enough fluid to push the drum brake shoes out to the drums, I would
expect a lot of pedal travel before the brakes bite, if I had a disk brake
master on a drum-braked car. I'm not sure "effort" would change, but they
might seem alarming on the road, as your foot went to the floor before
anything happened.

I did both changes at once. Disks are an improvement.

Phil