Ok,OK, LBC content...SUcarbs

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>, midgetsprite group <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Ok,OK, LBC content...SUcarbs
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:45:48 -0800 (PST)
Sorry to get off subject, but I have been working on
the carbs again. I appreciate the expertise of list
members and prevail upon you again.

Think, thank, thunk. I took the bells and pistons off
both carbs, being careful not to get them mixed up,
and cleaned them up really good.

Screwed the jet screws in until each was even with the
bridge and then backed them down 10 flats ea. I know
they recommend 12 but the thing has been so rich I
thought I would start at ten. Manipulated the choke
and noticed that one jet moved down more than the
other, so I loostened the linkeage nut and got them
both pretty closley alike. I put the bells and pistons
back on and tightened them down a bit at a time. When
they were both just barely held in place(loosely
tight?) they had equal sounding "thunks". When I
tightened them up snug the front one's sound changed.
The back one still had a good "thunk" but the front
one shifted to "thunk light", not quite as solid a
thunk as the back. By manipulating the bell hold down
screw(front carb, screw closest to the engine),
tighter and looser, I can improve "thunk" quality, but
every time I snug the front one up the level of
"thunk" diminishes. I even tried switching bells,
thinking the DPO may have done that before. No joy.
Back carb "thunk", front carb "thunk light" or
"squishy thunk". I also notice that there are no
washers on the screws.

What do ya thunk, er..think.

bill b. '69 Sprite.
How 'bout those GI's, and Brits too. What is Brit for GI?