Good news, bad news ( for me and Miss Marple )

To: "Spridgets" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Good news, bad news ( for me and Miss Marple )
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:48:53 -0400
As I was preparing to ship off Miss Marple's engine to the engine shop (
which I routinely refer to as a machine shop ), I decided that I could not
let her go without pulling off the pan and trying to determine if the crank
was an EN40B.  I risked my injured back to lift the engine ( sans head ) to
a better location and removed the pan.  This, after pulling the oil plug out
and verifting that it was dry.  Well, I thought so.  Apparently a
substantial amount of oil stays in there.  The good news is that the crank
has EN40 cast into it.  The bad news is that there was a substance, not
unlike steel wool, nested into the oil pickup screen and on the bottom of
the pan in two locations.  The centre of each half of the pan divided by the
baffle.  After much thought, I figure it must be shavings from where the
valve spring ( pardon me if I use the wrong words ) retainer hit the front
of the valve cover.

I pray that I didn't do serious damage to anything expensive.

Off to the shop tomorrow at lunch.  I haven't completely sorted out what I
want and can afford to have done yet.  I'll start with finding out what I
have to have done first.

Robert Duquette
'65 RHD Sprite
'67 RHD Midget < aka Miss Marple >