Sucked Into Head?

To: "bugeye@yahoogroups.com" <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>, Spridget Group <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sucked Into Head?
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:46:01 -0700
Per David Anton's (APT) suggestion ( & per Vizard's book) I had cut off
the overrun valve on the throttle disc & soldered (obviously not well
enough) the remaining valve disc (bronze, about 3/8" dia) to plug the
hole in the throttle disc. THE VALVE DISC IS MISSING after running
engine for first time yesterday.

The engine only ran for a few seconds several times; it idled extremely
fast then would stop if let up on choke or throttle. Eliminated all
causes except the carb - a single HIF6 SU. After removing the SU today
to tune it, I saw that the plug had come off the throttle disc. I do not
know if it was sucked into engine, or if it fell out when I moved the SU
to the work bench. I've checked the floor, but it could have rolled
anywhere. I pulled the intake manifold & looked & felt in the head. Not
there.

Could something this size, flat 3/8" dia, go past an intake valve into a
combustion chamber? If I cannot find the disc I plan on pulling the head
to check chambers. Is there anywhere else I should check before or while
I have head off? Engine was professionally built & I assume I will void
warrantee if I pull head, but I do not see any other solution. Help!

Thanks in Advance.

Jim Rogers
San Juan Capistrano, CA
59 Bugeye