Re: Starter/Flywheel jamming

To: James Algar <jamesa@HI-TORQUE.com>
Subject: Re: Starter/Flywheel jamming
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:31:47 -0400
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Jim

You can also free a stuck starter by putting it in 4th gear and rocking
the car. A bit easier when you are "in a jam" ;)
Most of the times it is a bum starter and not neccessarily the ring
gear. Note MOST of the time.
I had a bum starter for a year or so in my Bugeye, I have a new ring
gear, it jammed a few times. I replaced the starter with a different one
(not new) and it's been fine for a year. No jamming yet.
Your starter drive may just need a good cleaning, take it out and clean
any grit out of the bendix drive.
In a recent thread there was talk about not oiling the bendix, I always
lightly oiled mine and never had a problem. In fact, semi bum starters
worked much better after a cleaning and oiling.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ