RE: oil pan baffel 101

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: oil pan baffel 101
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:52:24 -0500
        [Deikis, John]  When I built my "Works motor" last year, I did the
following, after advice from a couple of Mini Cooper racers:

        I put a shelf about 1 1/2 inches wide all around the circumference
of the inside of the oil pan.  Thought:  to keep oil from climbing the walls
as readily in turns.  I brazed it to the pan.  I then used a cut-off tool
and cut a door into the existing baffle and made another "door" a little bit
bigger out of a scrap from a '78 Chevy fender.  I tack-welded a little hinge
on this and then tack-welded the door-and-hinge set-up to the rear-side of
the existing baffle.  Thought:  on braking, oil won't slosh forward as
readily, but on accelleration it'll push through my trap door and hang out
near the oil pick-up.  Then I measured how deep the crank throws go into the
pan (which is where I decided to put my little shelf) and took more of that
fender and made a sort of cover for the whole thing.  I cut a bunch of slots
in it with my cut-off wheel and bent them into "downward facing louvers".
Thought:  el-cheapo windage tray.

        I'll be the first to admit I'm a rotten engineer, but this seemed
pretty basic.  Three races last summer, and so far so good.    [Deikis,
John]  I am a bit worried about Chuck's "shrapnel" possibility now and wish
I had tig welded instead of brazed!

        -JohnD