Re: PCV direction of flow, was crankcase etc.

To: "bill b." <w_burrell@yahoo.com>, "spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "midgetsprite group" <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: PCV direction of flow, was crankcase etc.
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 21:47:08 -0700
As near as I can tell, the larger end of a pcv valve always goes towards the
engine, and the smaller end goes toward the intake.  When slight vacuum is
applied, the valve should allow air to flow, when high vacuum is applied,
air flow should be restricted, but not completely stopped, if pressure is
applied, no air flow should flow backwards through the valve, to prevent any
flames from a carburetor backfire from entering  into the crankcase and
causing a possible explosion.  The valve you purchased was probably designed
for a car that had threads in the valve cover to accept that valve.  On just
about every engine except our LBC's, the pcv valve is in the valve cover,
and a hose then leads to the manifold vacuum source.  I don't know of any
"generic" application where the pcv valve is located at the vacuum source.
David Riker
63 Falcon
70 Torino
74 Midget