Re: dif ratio identification

To: Bud Osbourne <abcoz@hky.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: dif ratio identification
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 13:40:04 -0700
> intensely dislike the idea of droning on for hours and hours across flat,
> featureless terrain;

Running the northern route, you will hit 3 major mountain passes starting in
Montana. My main concern in the summer would be overheating. That part of the
country can get VERY hot, and you are looking at grades between 6 - 9% for 30 -
50 miles. On the mid country route, from about North Platte west, you will not
find the terrain either flat or featureless. Even in Nebraska, there is much to
see if your eyes are open. Sod houses from the pioneer days are still visible,
and antelope run amok right alongside the highway. Once you hit the Wyoming line
you will start to climb and see some of the most magnificent scenery this
country can offer. Just past Little America, which is the only truck stop in the
world that has its own Zip Code and is marked on the US map, turn northwest
through Idaho, and well maintained secondary roads will take you into Eugene,
Oregon, which is a handy place for us to buy you a beer.  From there you can
head north on US 99 to Portland. Lots of interesting little towns to go through.
I find the 150 miles of Interstate between Eugene & Portland to be the most
boring stretch of road in the country, but I never go to Portland unless
something is scheduled, so I rarely have the time to go 99.
I run a 3.7 in my Midget as I have found it to be the most useful for a general
purpose vehicle. The only task I have never made her perform is pulling the
horse trailer. She has, however, done her turn as a hay hauler. Wish I had
pictures.
What beach will you be at? There are some nice, twisty back roads along the
coast. Some are nicer than others. If Madge has brakes by then, maybe we can
track down some local LBC folks and put a tour together.

Kate