RE: Phantom Grip

To: "Roger Cotting" <rbc43@starband.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Phantom Grip
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:15:32 +1000
The one shot I saw of Roger's car in the autotest was going through
the slalom section. There was *no* wheelspin there.

The autotest had a couple of big loops at the top of the course
(still first gear), where there was inside wheelspin (i.e. no lockup).
Now a few caveats are worth noting:

1) this is 1st gear -- worst case for this type of LSD
2) The corners were very tight given the speed -- so the
inside wheel was very unladen

So I find it easy to believe that it would work better in saner
environments. Roger reported no wheelspin on the autocross so
that would support that hypothesis.

There was one person (who's judgment I trust) that didn't like
the design of the phantom grip. His main complaint was that it
loads the diff housing in ways it wasn't designed for. That is
a completely different argument from "does it work?"

Mike