Running Hot?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Running Hot?
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:45:21 -0400
What is a good way to see if my '76 Midget is running hot?  I am distrustful
of my temp gauge as it never gets above about 40% of scale even when I think
it should. I ordered a new temp sending unit but I don't think it is the
right one.  My gauge is driven by a wrapped wire that goes in to the center
hose fitting, under the threaded filler plug.  The one I got appears to be
electrical.  If I use a different thermometer, where is a good place (on the
car) to take a reading?  What reading would be defined as "hot"?

Thanks, Ben