Re: A-arm woes

To: millerls@ado13.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A-arm woes
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:02:27 EDT
In a message dated 7/11/03 3:54:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
millerls@ado13.com writes:

> Speaking of getting screwed on a-arms. I have a brand new a-arm purchased at
> a swap meet that looks perfect untill you attempt to install the fulcrum
> pin. The threads are messed up on the inside bushing and they are an off the
> wall (I think) thread. If anyone thinks they can fix it they can have it for
> the cost of shipping.

The bushings were probably soldered in using an old fulcrum pin to hold them
in place.  When a new pin is screwed in it doesn't exactly match the threads
and won't screw in all the way.  How do I know this?  When I soldered mine in,
I too used the old fulcrum pin to hold the bushings in place until they were
soldered.  Yep--the threads were off just a little--I had to unsolder them and
use a NEW fulcrum pin, which spaced the bushings exactly where they should be
to accept a new, unheated fulcrum pin.  I keep the old NEW pin which has been
seriously heated just for spacing bushings, should I do so  again.

--David C.

Oh--to avoid another thread on the subject, soldering = SILVER soldering, not
the lead stuff.