Re: NO LBC- need PC help

To: gerard <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: NO LBC- need PC help
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:34:20 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Don't try and cut corners.  Attempting to restore and run an OS on the
current drive can result in further corruption or lost files.  You don't
know if a bad OS file in Win95 will be corrected or left as is.  (I'm
assuming you've already checked the BIOS parameters, made sure the HD
cable hasn't worked loose, don't just have a screwed up the master boot
block, and/or are an expert in this things)

Go buy an adapter to mount a laptop drive into a desktop machine from a
local computer store (around $7).  Configure the problem drive as a
slave, install into the desktop machine, and back up your needed files.
 Then, reformat the laptop drive and do multiple integrity scans on it
before putting it back into the laptop for an OS re-install (if it
passes all the tests).

To install Win95, you'll need to make the HD bootable (format d: /s).
 Copy the Win95 CD to a directory on the hard drive (since you won't
have the drivers for the CD in your boot), boot the HD, and then install
the OS from the directory.  You do the CD/HD copy while the drive is in
the desktop.

Kendel "been there, screwed it up" McCarley