Oil Cooler installation - A series

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Cooler installation - A series
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:41:25 EDT
Hi List,

Since things are quiet I thought I'd post with some idle tech chat.

Ok.  On the A-series fitting an oil cooler entails ditching the copper block
to filter head pipe and running 2 long hose runs to and from the oil cooler.
If you run a thermostat you cut the lines to have 4 hose ends and the
thermostat fits in the middle.  What you are left with is a thermostatically
controlled oil cooler with a lot of hose and a chunky thermostat unit
cluttering up the
engine bay.

It is possible to fit a sandwich plate but why bother when you can have
massive hose runs instead...............

Jump forward and the now not so recent development is the sandwich plate with
a thermostat incorporated into it.  And,  you can't get thermostat units for
the failed in the open position thermostat sitting in the middle of those big
long hose runs.

So, rather than buy a replacement thermostat unit that you can replacement
guts for, it seems an option would be to put the copper engine block to filter
head pipe back even though it looks tasteless and have a neat thermostatic
sandwich plate under the filter head with short hose runs.

Anyone gone down this road yet?

Any thoughts?

Thank you Cap'n Bob, I knew I could rely on you, anyone else Chuck, Frank,
anyone?  Is anyone on the list?

Thanks

Daniel1312