Re: maintenance of a midget

To: cyrille@hp.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: maintenance of a midget
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:47:24 EDT
In a message dated 9/24/03 1:06:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time, cyrille@hp.com
writes:

> I would like to know how to take care of my 78 1500cc midget. what should I
> do to the car, and at which interval?
> 1) oil every 3Kmiles?
> 2) front suspension lubrification? (how to do that?, how often?)
> 3) other?
>

> Also, what point of the car are the most likely to cause problems?
> 1) I heard things about the suspension, can anyone tell me more about that
> and what I should do?
> 2) other?

Hi Cyrille!

Changing the oil (Castrol 20W50) and filter regularly are the most crucial
maintenance items you can do.  I assume you are a recent owner of the car.
There are a few things I would do just to insure my peace of mind beyond the
oil
change:  1.  Drain and refill the transmission fluid.
2.  Drain and fill the rear differential unit.
3.  Change the brake fluid.
4.  Install one of those Prestone backflush devices in the heater hose, drain
the coolant from the cooling system, add a bottle of radiator cleaner, refill
with water, run the car per the directions on the cleaner bottle, then
backflush the radiator through the backflush device.  Add new 50/50 coolant.
5.  Install a new thermostat while the cooling system is empty.

There are probably a few more things I would do, but these are starters, and
wouldn't have to all be done at the same time.  They are relatively low-cost
items, but crucial to the health of the car.  And you will KNOW the health of
the fluids of the car and when they were last changed so you can change them on
a regular basis.  I have opened drain plugs on transmissions and had as much
water pour out as I did tranny fluid.  Best to change them out and know.

--David C.