? Is it practical to convert from 1/4 elliptical to 1/2 ellipitical rear

To: bugeye@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: ? Is it practical to convert from 1/4 elliptical to 1/2 ellipitical rear springs
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 15:52:01 EST
While I am in the process of restoring (hopefully improving) by 59 Bugeye.  I
have probably posted a dumb question.  Even if possible, it may not be
practical, beneficial, or within my ability to fabricate.

There has been a lot of discussion about the use of panhard bars for the 1/4
elliptical rear suspension of Bugeyes to reduce rear end sway.  Later
Spridgets use 1/2 elliptical rear springs which I assume improve rear end
stability,
but may introduce other problems in handling.  Which type of rear suspension
gives or can give better handling?

As the springs in my Bugeye are shot and I have to repair a considerable
amount of corrosion in that area, would there be an advantage to just scrap the
entire Bugeye rear suspension and axle assembly and replace it with an entire
later Spridget rear axle and suspension.  I realize that extra anchor points
and
reinforcement would be necessary to mount the later system.

Has anyone done this before?  If so ... is it an improvement or not worth the
effort?  If it's worth the effort, what must be converted on the Bugeye to
accept the later suspension/rear-axle assembly.

Gary Bouffard