Re: alignment/suspension question

To: "Dick Byrne" <lindalnhvt@nhvt.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: alignment/suspension question
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 21:12:49 -0000
Hi Dick,

Uneven wear on the front tyres is usually caused by wrongly adjusted
tracking.
Wear on the inside edges of the tyres means there is insufficient toe-in.
i.e. the front wheels are pointing like the feet of a duck.
Conversely wear on the outer edge of the tyre would be caused by too much
toe-in (Pigeon toe-ed)

At present you are driving a duck.
You need to screw the track rod ends in a little to increase the toe in.
This will also increase the directional stability and improve turn -in when
cornering.  Over do it and the back end will get twitchy.

You can set toe-in pretty accuratyey yourself with string, or bamboo canes
or various other methods which Spridgeteers will enjoy relating in detail.
Or you take it to a tyre depot to do it with fancy equipment that many don't
know how to use properly

Guy