Re: New engine and tranny for Bugsy / Fun Toys I got to ride in Dec 2003

To: thistle_3619@yahoo.com (James Gruber)
Subject: Re: New engine and tranny for Bugsy / Fun Toys I got to ride in Dec 2003 20:41:55 -0800 (PST)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 04:28:10 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net (Spridgets Digest)
LOL, James!! :)

While I dropped the Judson idea (capacity
of blower is not suitable for the large
bore engine), the Rivergate 1293 with it's
Cooper S cam advanced for Metro inlet
timing turned out to be a surprisingly  excellent street performer
normally aspirated. Tons of low end and mid-range
torque. (for a 1275 engine...it's not a
Corvette!:).

Surprised the hell outta me, most especially at a measly 8.3-1 CR. I
think
this is due to the better flowing alum. head that was part of the build
spec., but
not sure. Anyway, it lays rubber in second
gear (3.7 diff, yet) if you're not smooth with it. So, I am very happy
with what I've
got. When the head eventually comes off
for whatever reason, it'll go to 10.0-1 and
I may even re-time the cam "straight-up"
with the higher CR. Should still go like
hell with a little "more" toward the top end.

The "H" in the engine number identifies
your motor as a high compression unit,
James. The engine is not totally de-smogged as it sounds like the PO is
evacuating the fuel tank fumes into the
combustion process via the charcoal cannister and the smog ports
on the carbs. Doesn't really sound like
a bad idea to me at all.

Otherwise, as I read your post the engine
crankcase is vented to atmosphere via the valve cover. How about
the vent off the flame arrester "can" on
the timing chain cover? Not venting to
atmosphere here as well???

Compression numbers are given at
normal cranking speed, plugs removed,
throttle plates fully open. How fast the
engine would be turning over with a fully
charged battery under these conditions?
Not sure....maybe 300rpm or so?
Anyone?

Cap'n. Bob