Re: LBC Bridge

To: "Guy Weller" <Guy.Weller@kencomp.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: LBC Bridge
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:51:10 -0500
This is one of those civil engineering nightmares (or retirement programs,
if you're working on it).  Two major interstates converge (I-75 from the
northwest, I-85 from the northeast) just north of Atlanta (and the Banana
Bridge) and route traffic right through the heart of the city.  Just south
of town, they split and continue their respective routes through the state
of Georgia.

There are six lanes each going north and south, and at this point there is a
double decel ramp for south-bound traffic and a double accel ramp for
north-bound traffic.  The north-bound lanes also begin to split under the
bridge, so there is a two-lane north-bound exit. And to make driving even
more interesting and assure the traffic engineers of a comfortable
retirement, there is a two-lane diagonal entrance ramp to the north-bound
lanes, which dumps traffic into the mix from the left side.  This ramp
actually crosses over some of the above-mentioned lanes to do this.  I'm
getting dizzy just trying to explain this.

I'm glad we were on top of the bridge rather than trying to negotiate the
roads below.

DS
Atlanta