Re: I Got It!

To: "Michael W. Jose" <michaelwjose@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: I Got It!
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:53:12 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Michael W. Jose wrote:

> what order to restore?

Mike

First, fire up the engine and see what you have.
If the hydraulics are shot (and I'm sure they are after 20 years)
turn it off, jack up the back end, put it in 1st gear, start it up.
Again for 2nd, 3rd, 4th. This will tell you if the tranny is good. Also
watch the tach, oil, temp, and speedo to see if they work.
Next, remove everything. Do the body work, paint it, replace the brake
pipes, hoses, and cylinders. Shake out the wire harness or check it and
all the lamps before you tear it apart. Rebuild the suspension, do a new
interior and away you go :)
I painted one Saturday, I already have all the suspension rebuilt and
installed and tonight I did the master cylinder, pedal box, and front
end of the brakes. The Harness went in Sunday but I still have to buff
out the front half before the lamps go back.
The key is to do something every night even if it's wrong. Just keep
plugging away. Take a night, yank the dash, remove the gauges, clean the
glass inside and out and steel wool the chrome, repaint the fash while
it's empty with black wrinkle paint available at any auto parts store.
The next night, reassamble the dash, and take apart the wiper motor to
regrease it and clean it up. Then in a couple months, it's a new Sprite.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ